Join a turtle conservation project & protect the sea turtles on gorgeous beaches of Greece.
- Help save our natural environment
- Protect turtle nests and females from predators, inundation and human threats
- Assist those baby turtles arrive safely at sea
- Experience Greek culture, gastronomy & hospitality in one of Greece’s most beautiful corners
- Enjoy fantastic beach life, swim, snorkel & relax
During this Sea turtle conservation holiday in the South of the Peloponnese peninsula you protect nests and baby turtles, so that populations can thrive once again.
Check out the blog post by Deike Behringer from Germany : “Griechenland Urlaub: Meeresschildkröten Babys schlüpfen sehen“, who volunteered in this programme. She also made this wonderful video: “Saving Sea Turtles in Greece.”
This sea turtle holiday is suitable for young and old, students, families, friends and couples. Children as young as 8 years old can participate, as long as there is adult guidance. Accommodation will be in a caravan, tent or apartment in 1 of Greece’s finest camping sites, camping Gythio Bay. Sandy beaches provide the setting for this project where you make a difference! The holiday location is near Gythio, a pretty coastal village. A perfect setting to enjoy those long, warm Mediterranean Summer evenings. A local, friendly group leader is there for you to make this the perfect Summer get-away with a difference.
Group size: max 10 people. The trip starts and ends in Athens.
- 18-26 July
- 3 -11 August
|DEPARTURE/RETURN LOCATION||Athens, Greece|
|PRICE||€850 p.p. adult €750 p.p. children <12 years|
Arrive at Athens airport. Preferably before 3PM. Meet the group and the tour leader! Your hotel for the first night will be along the pretty Athens Riviera. Within walkable distance from the Sea Turtle Rescue Center. In the evening there’s a welcome dinner. Great Greek food & company in an authentic Greek place!
Your small group gets the transfer in a comfortable vehicle to the South-Peloponnese (289 km/180 miles, 4 hours’ drive), Gythio. The drive is over good roads and the scenery is beautiful. Halfway: it’s time for a break at the world-famous Corinth canal!
Your accommodation for the following week will be at Camping Gythio Bay, in Mavrovouni. Near Gythio town. A stunning location, right on the beach where you will be offering your services for the Caretta caretta or Loggerhead Sea Turtles.
Dinner & overnight at an apartment, caravan or tent at luxury Camping Gythio Bay. Time permitting,you get your first presentation & training – about the loggerhead sea turtles.
Start sea turtle volunteering.
Depending on the time of the year, activities include:
- looking for adult turtle tracks,
- locating nests, enclose and mark them
- relocating the threatened nests
- locating baby turtle tracks,
- dealing with any hatchlings that are still on the beach
- shading of the nests to protect the hatchlings from disorientation
- help baby turtles arrive at the sea
- excavations of hatched nests to determine the hatching success
During your stay, you may also be needed for activities like:
- beach cleanings
- collection of reed to construct the protection of the nest
- wooden constructions such as boxes for injured turtles and
- maintenance activities for the equipment
- raising awareness – inform beach users how to behave on the nesting beaches
However, there is plenty of time to chill, explore and relax. The actual volunteering will take roughly 4 hours a day. This means there is time to:
- swim or snorkel in the Med or in the pool of the camping
- sunbathe, sip cocktails, chat or read near the pool
- explore the local fishing port of Gythio town
- take a windsurf lesson (at an extra cost)
- table tennis at the campsite
- watch movies (under the stars) or TV in lounge room
- rent a bike & cycle (at extra cost)
Alternatively, you could visit nearby places like:
- the caves of Dyrou
- world-famous Sparta –yes, home town of the famous Spartan warriors!
- Monemvasiá, a breathtaking medieval tower town also dubbed the Gibraltar of the East.
Dinner is Greek, authentic and delicious. vegan/vegetarian options available.
Transfer from Gythio back to Athens airport is included. Take a flight back home or extend your stay. We suggest finding a flight with a departure later than 2 PM. Of course, you could extend your stay in Greece.
Contact us for more information or travel assistance!